Nanotechnology is the study of manipulating matter on an atomic and molecular scale. One nanometer (nm) is one billionth, or 10-9, of a meter. The discoveries that we might now call nanotechnology, date back 50 years or more; but it took 10 centuries before microscopes with high enough magnification were invented that allowed us to see things and work at the nano scale. Nanotechnology is a new branch of science which is supported by other scientific fields such as physics, chemistry, biology, mechanics, materials and engineering.
Today, nanotechnology is used in many commercial products and industrial processes. Nanomaterials are used to make chemical and physical manufacturing processes more efficient, saving energy and reducing waste products. Due to the importance of this technology the standing Committee on Scientific and Technology Cooperation (COMSTECH) of the Organization of Islamic Conference has created the Inter-Islamic Network on Nanotechnology otherwise known as INN.
The headquarters of INN is in the Islamic Republic of Iran. The Network will initially link all individual country networks from various branches of nanotechnology.
The mission and vision of NTN is to foster closer cooperation among Muslim countries in the development and management of nanotechnology resources. In pursuit of this mission, it seeks to generate ideas and policy directions through intensive dialogue, studies and research on a continuing basis. The objectives of INN are as follows:
- To promote cooperation and encourage activities in the field of nanotechnology between member states;
- To support transferring, developing and managing nanotechnology between member states;
- To support strategic development of nanotechnology in member states with respect to education, research, facilities and databases;
- Systematic development of a nanotechnology network according to a strategic plan for the future;
- To lay the foundation for joint cooperation of scientific, industrial and research centers as well as the researchers of member states in the field of nanotechnology;
- To provide easy access to new markets of nanotechnology products;
- To preserve tangible and intangible resources of nanotechnology in the member states and provide for their optimum use;
- To support the training of qualified human resources in the field of nanotechnology.
INN member states are all Islamic countries.
The following address is the official focal point of NTN;
Islamic Republic of Iran
Dr. S.M.M. Hadavi
Chief Executive Officer
Inter-Islamic Network on
P. O. Box: 14155-4777.
Materials and?Energy Research Center
Alvand Avenue, Ahooramazda Street
Tel: +98 (0)21 88771627
Fax: +98 (0)21 88773352